Saturday, November 12, 2005

Looks vs Personality: The Non-existant Battle

I was watching "What Not To Wear" today. It's actually quite an entertaining show. But what really caught my attention was something the "victim" said when asked about her lack of using make-up. It is actually something that many women answer with when asked the same question.

She said, "I don't like my looks to be the first thing people notice. Instead, I want it to be just an enhancement that stays in the background".

Needless to say, I find that mentality rediculous. Basically, what she (or he, some men say the same about getting a good haircut or a decent outfit) is saying is that her sel-esteem is so low that she thinks that anything she does to her looks would completely drown out her personality.

Naturally, this is not what those people want to say. It is just a sad attempt to make up an answer that might seem intelligent. They just don't want to say that they are too boring/lazy to take care of their looks. If you truly have a strong personality then you would want your looks to match.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tarek said...

I disagree. I find personality "strength" and looks to be unconnected. Confidence may lead some not to care about their looks. A weak personality can lead to taking care of looks as a way of overcompensating or seeking validation/acceptance.

She might have really meant it. Then again, this is TV, not a shrink. People say what they want you to think, not what they really think.

TB out

10:50 PM  
Blogger Tarek said...

Since this shitty comment thing doesn't allow me to edit my frickin comments, I will post my additional statement here: (insert wherever)

Different people draw their confidence from different places. :)

10:52 PM  
Blogger The One said...

"Confidence may lead some not to care about their looks"; This is actually untrue. This statement, combined with the holy statement (Hadith Kodsi) "Inna Allaha jameelon yohebb el-jamal" would indicate that God has low confidence (wal 3eyatho bellah).

Needless to say, no one can have more confidence than he who is able to do anything he wants. Having said that, to say that confidence leads to not caring about one's looks indicates a "misleading" kind of confidence.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Tarek said...

Take the time to actually read the comments. Had I said "Confidence always leads everyone not to care about their looks" then your response would have been valid.

I wouldn't have been so hard on you had you not actually quoted my text.

I said what I said as a counterexample to the generalization in the last sentence of your post: "If you truly have a strong personality then you would want your looks to match."

10:24 PM  
Blogger The One said...

Although my response was seemingly directed at the comment itself, in reality it was directed towards those who actually hold that mentality. The remark itself is "protected" by its "indefiniteness" ;) .

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home